1) If your company identity and domain name is important, go with your own domain.
It helps promote your brand identity and domain name having your blog on your domain name instead of under a free service domain, which looks like: your_company.wordpress.com, or bloguru.com/your_company. The other option is having the free blog service, like bloguru.com embed the blog within your own domain. Contact us at PSPinc to help you understand this option.
2) If you don’t have a domain name yet and need a boost in search engines, go with a free service.
Going fresh with a new domain name is fine, but it requires work to get it known, and your blog posts may not appear in search engines right away. But if you have your blogs on established domains like blogger.com, wordpress.com, or bloguru.com, your articles will likely be indexed by search engines simply because those domains are very popular.
3) If you are particular about the design of your blog template, build it into your own domain.
There are tons of themes and (often free) templates to choose from when you’re working with a free blog service, but you will have limited ability to customize them, which means you may not get that perfect look and feel. Although it will require some technical skill to set up a completely customized blog on your domain, if your priority is the look and the design of it, then that’s the way to go.
4) If you aren’t familiar with PHP, MySQL, or Open Source, use a free service.
If you are going to install a blog on your domain, you will need the technical skills to set up some programs on the server. But, if you have no idea what PHP, MySQL, or Open Source means, either hire someone who does, or try using a free service first.
5) If you are planning to have tons of files like images and videos, consider using your own domain for freedom of space.
File storage space may be more limited on a free blog service compared to your own blog. If you have a blog on your domain, you can purchase additional space as needed compared to the limited space a free service offers, so check that detail if you are considering a free service.
Our service, bloguru.com, features the best of both sides – the free service and hosting under your domain. Email us to find out how we can help you start blogging on your terms.