Otsukare Sama Deshita
In Japanese, colleagues and subordinates greet each other with, “otsukare sama deshita”, as they leave the office at the end of the workday. The literal translation of this phrase in English is as follows:
Thank you for your hard work.
You did a great job!
You've worked hard.
Otsukare sama deshita is one of the most important greetings in the Japanese workplace and social life. Let's look at how people actually use it in the Japanese workplace.
1. As an everyday greeting: Japanese people commonly use the phrase to greet colleagues and subordinates at the end of a workday. It’s a way to show respect and appreciation for each other's work after a long day of labor.
2. To help with team building: Praising each other’s efforts and accomplishments helps build cohesion among team members and motivates a spirit of cooperation throughout the team.
3. To signal the end of the workday: This is a common "end of work" signal in Japanese workplaces. By saying this phrase, it tells everyone else that their work is finished.
4. To show consideration to your superiors: Avoid using this phrase with superiors. Instead, the common greeting to a supervisor is, pardon me for leaving early, to which the supervisor would reply, otsukare sama (which means good work in English).
5. To express appreciation: otsukare sama deshita is an important way for workers to recognize each other's efforts and express their appreciation. Expressions of gratitude are very important in Japanese culture.
In general, otsukare sama deshita expresses other people’s gratitude for their efforts and contributions. At the same time, it shows solidarity and a spirit of cooperation among workers.
President / CEO
Pacific Software Publishing, Inc.
Twitter | Facebook | Linked In
PSPINC (Pacific Software Publishing, Inc.) is a technology company based in Bellevue, Washington, USA. Founded in 1987, PSPINC provides web hosting, email hosting, and other internet-related services to businesses and individuals worldwide.
In addition to its hosting services, PSPINC also offers website design and development, domain registration, and online marketing services. The company has data centers located in the United States and Japan, and it offers multilingual support to its customers.
PSPINC has a strong focus on customer service, and it has received numerous awards and accolades for its quality of service over the years. The company is committed to staying up-to-date with the latest technology and industry trends in order to provide the best possible solutions for its customers.